Roy Maas Youth Alternatives (RMYA) provides treatment programs for traumatized children who most often are victims of sexual, physical, and/or emotional abuse. RMYA supports using trauma-informed techniques and relationship-based approaches to create a safe environment that provides consistency, structure, and caring for the children we serve.
The Campus Registered Nurse (Campus RN) will provide direct basic nursing care, mental health nursing care and first aid to children ages 6-18 in residential care at MeadowLand, Boerne campus. The position will document plan of care and relay information to cabin caregivers and directors. The position will provide nurse advice and on call services to MeadowLand and The Bridge in accordance with National Institute of Health guidelines, Medline Plus and on call physician directives. The Campus RN will serve as liaison with campus psychiatrist and assist therapists to identify children who may benefit from adjustment of psychotropic medications.
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Nursing Degree preferred
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION: Current State of Texas registered nurse or advanced practice nurse license; CPR/AED/FIRST AID Instructor required or ability to become one within six months.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 3-5 years nursing experience with 2 Years Pediatric Clinic experience preferred, and 2 Years Mental Health experience preferred but trainable.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SALARY: TBD based on experience
BENEFITS: Health insurance (75% of premium paid by RMYA), vacation/holiday/sick time, 403b Retirement Plan.
- Exceptional project management and communication skills.
- Solid knowledge of best practices around medical protocol.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities and meet challenging and changing deadlines.
- Proficient with client management databases.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional weekend and evening hours
- Ensure RMYA’s strategic vision, mission, and core values are implemented and achieved through its programs and services.
- Valid Texas driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire. Must have acceptable driving record.
- Successful clearance of a criminal background check, including fingerprinting and drug testing.
- Assist and oversee nursing care of The Bridge children’s shelter as needed. In the absence of physicians and visiting nurses, occasional travel to Bridge for 24 hour screens and/or direct nursing care may be required.
- Oversee all aspects of twice monthly Child Psychiatry Clinic to include scheduling, attending, documenting medication changes, and providing written documentation and doctor’s orders to programs.
- Schedule routine labs, EKGs for children on psychotropic medication.
- Together with Medical Coordinator, insure annual physical, dental and vision appointments are obtained. Identify children who need urgent medical appointments and services; obtain timely care for residents who need acute or emergency care.
- Personally oversee the referral process and supervise the home care provided to all residents referred for specialty care (Orthopedic, Neurology, etc.).
- Post current notifications of residents with Allergies, Epinephrine Pens and Inhalers; oversee labeling, storage and expiration.
- Oversee and report on medication administration at programs. Inspect medication cabinets and Medication Administration Records twice monthly to insure compliance with licensing guidelines and best practices. Maintain and order supplies of over the counter medications and first aid supplies for distribution to programs.
- Provide in-service training to program staff.
- Provide Health Education to residents including hygiene, growth and development, human sexuality, weight control and other classes or consults as needed.
- Provide Medical Screening of all new admissions within 24 hours of arrival. Utilize DFPS records to screen for medical problems, past medications, immunization records.
- Oversee emergency supplies including AEDs, First Aid kits, and Protective equipment.
- Track and report progress of children on medication. Report side effects to physicians.
- Maintain clinical files containing all MD visits, Medication Orders, and Nurse visits.
- Order and track all medications weekly, including controlled substances. Utilize Pharmacy data base and individual patient profiles. Provide intake and discharge medication supplies. Provide clinical support to resolve insurance issues and timely delivery of medications.
- Perform Medication Waste as needed.
- Inspect individual programs twice monthly to oversee Infection Control, OSHA and Safety. Identify problems to senior staff.
- When indicated, provide telephone support and instruction to consenters/caseworkers for medication and care issues.
- Promote teamwork, teach and mentor caregivers in medical issues as needed.
- Insure all nursing and medical care complies with Roy Maas Youth Alternatives policies and procedures, DFPS and licensing guidelines for Children’s Residential Care.
- Stays up-to-date on best practices through professional development and network of colleagues at similar organizations.
- Maintain professional and ethical standards as prescribed by RMYA.
- Maintain personally required training hours.
- Represent RMYA in a professional manner at all times.
- Be supportive of all RMYA policies and procedures, and actively participate in their development by proposing changes and updates as well as working on teams designed to improve how we work together.
- Other duties as assigned.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Senior Director of Residential Services