The Development Specialist will serve the agency by being a part of the agency’s fundraising team to raise money and donations to assist RMYA. The Development Specialist will attend meetings; coordinate fundraising activities including events, proposal writing, prospect research, marketing, and mass mailings. The Development Specialist will be responsible for maintaining donor relations software including the integration of new donor management software, implemented in December 2014. The Development Specialist will record and manage all donations and subsequent thank you letters. They will make additions and revisions to the RMYA website on a WordPress platform. The Development Specialist will also do some grant writing on applications as needed and provide expert advice in reviewing/editing content for all grant applications. The Development Specialist will have the authority to design and implement all social media strategies and assists the Senior Director of Community and Donor Relations with all marketing, quarterly newsletters, and fundraising materials. The Development Specialist will be responsible for supporting the entire development team, including screening incoming calls, taking messages, managing general email addresses, and resolving donor customer service needs independently. The Development Specialist will also provide leadership on the RMYA annual fundraising gala with full discretion for the managing the silent auction.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience (minimum 5 years of experience with advanced computer use, 3 years of experience in a customer service position, preferably in a non-profit setting, prior development and grant writing experience preferred)
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SALARY: $35,000/annual plus health benefits (75% premium paid by RMYA)
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 5 years of experience with advanced computer use.
- Knowledge of data conversion is preferred, particularly with Donor Management software.
- 3 years of experience in a customer service position, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Prior development and grant writing experience preferred.
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to work independently on multiple tasks requiring fundraising expertise under strict deadlines.
- Excellent written, verbal and public speaking skills.
- Willingness and openness to learn new things.
- A high degree of personal initiative with the desire and ability to meet deadlines and prioritize projects.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of graphic design software preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other staff members, service providers, and other professionals.
- Ensure RMYA’s strategic vision, mission, and core values are implemented and achieved through its programs and services.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional weekend and evening hours
- Valid Texas driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire. Must have acceptable driving record.
- Exceptional computer skills, particularly with database software. Experience with WordPress is preferred.
- Successful clearance of a criminal background check, including fingerprinting and drug testing.
- Manage the donor management software including data entry and maintenance.
- Design and implement all social media strategies and assists the Senior Director of Community and Donor Relations with all marketing and fundraising materials.
- Stay up-to-date on best practices through professional organizations and network of colleagues at similar organizations.
- Mine the current donor database to ensure all information is up-to-date and lapsed donors are identified.
- Manage mailing addresses and emails for mass communications including e-blasts and newsletters that are mailed.
- Manage monthly donation reconciliation with the accounting department.
- Mange RMYA website updates, with all events and press appearances included.
- Plan and coordinate engagement events such as the annual gala, luncheons, dinners, and receptions. Provide leadership for the annual silent auction.
- Write and mail donor and volunteer thank you letters in a timely manner.
- Assist with the editing and writing of federal, state, and local government grants and requests for proposal as well as grant applications to nonprofit foundations and corporate grant makers
- Assist with prospect research to identify new sources of funding.
- Serve as critical thought partner for the Senior Director of Community and Donor Relations in creation of strategic initiatives.
- To assist the development team with administrative tasks including telephone screening, scheduling, general email boxes, and other tasks as needed.
- Represent RMYA in a professional manner in approved events in the community.
- Assist with media relations and assist CEO in scheduling official contact with the media in accordance with RMYA’s PR policy.
- Update and maintain the RMYA website on WordPress platform.
- Special projects as assigned by the Development Team or CEO.
- Maintain professional and ethical standards as prescribed by RMYA.
- Maintain personally required training hours.
- Maintain confidentiality in all areas of client and program operations.
- Represent RMYA in a professional manner at approved events in the community.
Immediate Supervisor: Sr. Director of Donor and Community Relations